Now Hiring Tour Guides
January 08, 2018
University Housing is now hiring full and part-time tour guides for summer. Get a summer job that works around your class schedule and gives you valuable customer service and marketing skills.Being a tour guide is a great way to show your love for Georgia while welcoming new students and their families.
- Receive paid professional training.
- Lead tours of residence halls and answer tour participant questions.
- Participate in training led by the senior public relations coordinator and the UGA Visitors Center.
- Attend resource fairs in order to provide resident perspective to students and their families.
- Attend orientation parent and student sessions in order to provide resident perspective to students and their families.
- Maintain the tour rooms (restock fliers, rehang posters, straighten bedding, submit work requests for any custodial or maintenance issues that arise).
- Represent the university and the department in a professional and friendly manner as well as promote the value of living on campus.
Apply in The Dawg House now for the opportunity to welcome prospective Bulldogs by serving as a summer tour guide!
First-Year Housing Registration
January 05, 2018
Housing registration for first-year students enrolling for summer or fall 2018 is ongoing through April. For most students, room selection works on an appointment system based on when they complete their housing registration. We are committed to housing all incoming first-year students but the earlier students register, the greater number of choices there will be available when choosing a space.
Russell Hall Renovation
November 27, 2017
As you may know, University Housing is currently renovating popular high-rise Russell Hall. Closing a building for 14 months that normally houses 970 first-year students and contains more than 30 staff office spaces was a challenge but big changes are already well underway.
In spring 2017, residents chimed in with suggestions for study spaces, laundry rooms, kitchens, community and lounge spaces and—of course—bathrooms. Project coordinators from Menefee Architecture and Cannon Design came away with some great input on how students envision the improved Russell Hall.
Plans for Russell include increasing space flexibility in the student rooms through the removal of built-in furnishings. Community bathrooms will feature enhanced toilet and shower privacy and upgrades to modern fixtures and finishes. Students can also expect to see enhanced and updated lobby, lounge, study, programming, laundry and kitchen spaces. More importantly, plans also include renovations of climate control, plumbing and electrical systems as well as making the building ADA-accessible.
UGA determined a renovation of Russell Hall to be more cost-effective than new construction since a main concern for the university is ensuring continued affordability of student housing on campus while also providing adequate reserves for future renovations.
Originally opened in 1967 as an all-male residence hall, Russell Hall is a popular choice for first-year students, who say they appreciate its sense of community. “It is a great place to get connected and make friends at a large university,” said first-year student Aaron Stafford. “I love Russell Hall because no matter what, I always feel at home here.”