Jim Day Housing Scholarship Application
Dr. James “Jim” Day served as executive director of University Housing from 1990 to 2006. Dr. Day conceived and initially funded the University Housing scholarship fund to assist students with financial need offset the cost of on-campus housing. In recognition of his devoted service to the University of Georgia and in honor of his personal commitment to helping secure financial assistance for students, the scholarship was renamed the Jim Day Housing Scholarship upon his retirement.
Jim Day Housing Scholarship General Information
Four $1000 scholarships will be awarded for the fall 2024 semester. Funds for the Jim Day Housing Scholarship are raised by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and University Housing. Scholarship recipients will be selected by a panel of University Housing staff and students based on the eligibility requirements listed below.
Recipients are expected to be notified early May 2024 and the award transmitted to student accounts before fall 2024 fees are due. Any questions regarding the scholarship should be directed to Susan Dodson, alumni relations coordinator for University Housing, email@example.com or 706-542-3395.
The final amount and number of awards is at the discretion of the JDHS Scholarship Committee and will be determined by the funds accrued in the scholarship fund each year.
Jim Day Housing Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- You must complete the Jim Day Housing Scholarship application in its entirety and submit via Qualtrics by March 28, 2024.
- You must have demonstrated financial need as determined by the UGA Office of Financial Aid.
- You must sign a contract for an on-campus room assignment for the 2024-2025 academic year. If you are awarded a scholarship and do not sign a contract or live on campus for the 2024-2025 academic year you will forfeit the scholarship.
- You must be a current UGA undergraduate student with an on-campus room assignment. Fall 2024 resident assistant and Residential Belonging Ambassadors advocate staff are not eligible for this scholarship.
- If selected as a scholarship recipient, you agree to be photographed and grant permission for University Housing to use the photograph for promotional materials. In addition, you agree to grant University Housing permission to use excerpts from your application essay for promotional materials.
The application includes a short essay focused on your experiences with and contributions to the on-campus community.
Make a donation to the Jim Day Scholarship fund.
Questions? Contact Susan Dodson, 706-542-3395.
2023 Jim Day Housing Scholarship Winners
For the 2023-2024 academic year, University Housing awarded a record eight students the Jim Day Housing Scholarship, which offers financial assistance to outstanding students to offset the cost of living on campus. This year we were able to add 4 more recipients to the list due to a generous donation from the UGA Parents Leadership Council.
Recipients of the scholarships are current UGA students with on-campus room assignments who demonstrate financial need as determined by the UGA Office of Financial Aid. Recipients also must commit to living on campus for the fall and spring. These stand-out students contribute to others’ on-campus experiences by actively participating in their communities. Congratulations to the 2023 recipients!