One of the best ways to make the most of your college experience is by meeting new people and forming friendships. Luckily, your dorm can be a great place to start.
One way to meet new friends in your dorm is by attending social events. Residence halls host events throughout the year, and they are a great way to meet other students who live in your building and to find people who share your interests.
Another way to make friends in your dorm is by simply hanging out in common areas. Whether you’re studying in the lounge or cooking dinner in the kitchen, take some time to strike up a conversation with the people around you. You never know who you might meet!
Finally, don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to your neighbors. Knocking on a door and saying hello can be a great way to get to know the people who live around you. Plus, it’s always nice to have a familiar face in the hallway.
Here are some simple things you can try today.
- Keep your door open when you are in your room to signal to others that you are open to conversation.
- Start a group chat or social media group for your hall to make communication easier.
- Host a watch party or game night in the common area.
- Share food or other resources with your hallmates when possible.
- Put together an intramural team for your hall.
- Offer to walk with hallmates to and from class or activities.
- Ask someone to make a coffee run with you.
- See if anyone wants to go to Ramsey with you.
- Offer to help a hallmate with a project or assignment.
- Be yourself and approach others with kindness and an open mind.