Rules and Policies
The community guide lists and describes many of the other policies affecting residence hall residents. Please click here for access to the online Community Guide. Of course, all University Housing residents are also subject to the regulations and policies covered in the UGA Student Handbook.
Services For Students With Disabilities
The university strives to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws and policies. Students requesting housing accommodations due to a disability must also register with the Disability Resource Center (DRC). The DRC coordinator will communicate the appropriate housing accommodation needs to University Housing. The DRC procedures to request special housing assignments or accommodations can be found online at https://drc.uga.edu/site/content_page/register-for-services. For questions regarding special housing assignments or accommodations, contact the Housing Assignments Office at 706-542-1421 or email@example.com.
Residents who are accompanied by service animals must notify the assistant director for assignments and contracts in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the animal residing in University Housing.
Raising/Training Service Animals
All students who are serving as a trainer for a service animal must register with the Disability Resource Center. Registration information can be found at https://drc.uga.edu/site/content_page/register-for-services. Residents who are approved to raise and train service animals must then apply for an accommodation in writing to the assistant director for assignments and contracts at email@example.com.
University Housing Accessibility Statement
University Housing at the University of Georgia is committed to providing access for all people with disabilities and will provide accessible housing accommodations upon request. Please call 706-542-1421 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for specific requests.
First-Year Live-On Requirement
The university requires first-year students to live on campus. For more information about this policy, visit the First-Year Live-On Requirement page.
In addition to the University's alcohol and drug policies and associated conduct regulations available at https://www.conduct.uga.edu, the following policies will be enforced by University Housing.
- Georgia law prohibits possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under the legal drinking age and prohibits making alcoholic beverages available to persons under the legal drinking age. Underage students found in possession of alcoholic beverages will be asked to dispose of the alcohol under supervision of housing staff.
- Monies collected or generated by University Housing may not be used to purchase alcohol. Alcoholic beverages may not be sold, under any circumstances, or given away at organized student functions within the residence halls.
- Common source containers (e.g. kegs, punch bowls) are not allowed in the residence halls and apartments.
- Residents of legal drinking age may consume alcoholic beverages in the privacy of their room or apartment unit; no alcoholic beverages may be consumed in any other areas of the community outside of the student room or apartment, including common areas.
- No open containers of alcoholic beverages are permitted outside of individual residence hall rooms or apartment units.
- No student shall furnish, or cause to be furnished, any alcoholic beverage to any person under the legal drinking age.
- Inappropriate behavior related to the consumption of any alcoholic beverage or any illegal drug is prohibited.
- Failure to follow the alcohol policy will result in a referral to the university student conduct process. In addition, the student may be subject to arrest for violating State and/or Federal law.
Smoking and the use of all tobacco products is prohibited within all residence halls. In addition, the burning of candles, incense or other materials is not permitted. Residences are equipped with smoke detectors, and each hall has several fire alarm pull stations and fire extinguishers in case of emergency.
Visitation and Guests
There are two visitation designations available to accommodate the individual preferences of students; the options indicate times during which guests are permitted to visit and are noted in each community description.
- Visitation 1: Visitation permitted Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. and 24-hours beginning 10 a.m. Friday through Saturday, ending at 2 a.m. Monday (Sunday night).
- Visitation 2: Visitation permitted 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The only pets permitted in the halls are fish. Aquariums must be 20 gallons or less.