New Student Assignments
First-Year Assignments Timeline
May 1: Deadline to register for housing
May 15: Deadline for first-year live-on requirement exemptions
End of May: Registered students begin to log into The Dawg House to choose a space on campus
Mid-June: Room change request page opens. Students with a housing contract may add themselves to as many as three waitlists for other buildings or room types
October 1: Registration opens for spring housing
Early December: Registered students begin to log into The Dawg House to choose a space on campus
Mid-December: Roommate and arrival information sent to students
Sign-up information for current UGA students and incoming transfer students may be found on the Returning Student information page.
Assignments Process for New Students
- A $35 non-refundable registration fee is required with each registration. There is no fee for summer semester registrations.
- All hall and roommate requests are prioritized by the date in which the $35 registration fee is paid.
- Housing assignment is contingent upon acceptance to the university.
- The university does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or veteran status.
- All first-year students have priority in the assignments process over all other new students, as transfer, graduate and current students are not guaranteed housing. However, non-first-year students have priority in selecting a limited number of spaces prior to first-year students being assigned.
- To secure the initial assignment, a student must execute a residence hall contract. All cancellation terms apply at the time of the contract execution.
- Students wishing to cancel a contract because they are not attending UGA must notify the Housing Assignments Office.
ROOMMATE REQUEST: The following conditions must exist before roommate preferences can be honored: (1) both students must request each other and (2) a vacant double occupancy room must exist. When two students request each other as roommates and register at separate times, the assignment of the roommate pair will be based upon the EARLIEST registration date of both students. Registrants should be aware that if a preferred roommate does not match the request or cancels a registration, the registrant will be assigned another roommate based upon individual registration date without notification.
SINGLE ROOMS: A limited number of single rooms are available during the room selection process, however, first-year students should expect to have a roommate.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: Students requiring special accommodations due to a disability must complete the registration process at the Disability Resource Center in addition to completing the housing registration process. All requests for specific housing accommodations will be coordinated with the Disability Resource Center. Students with disabilities should complete the housing registration immediately upon admission and then contact the Disability Resource Center to begin the process. First-year students arriving in fall are requested to complete this process no later than June 1 to allow adequate time to arrange for the request.
SPECIAL PROGRAM ASSIGMENTS: Students participating in special programs, such as Freshman College and Living Learning Communities, and Honors Program students desiring an assignment in Myers Hall must follow the guidelines established by the program in order to receive consideration for an assignment with the area designated for these groups. Each program has a separate application process and different guidelines. For more detailed information, check with the program's coordinator.