Housing Resources

View the first-year orientation University Housing family presentation here (requires Microsoft PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer).

FAQ | Current Student Room Sign-Up FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact about wireless service, cable TV and the wired (Ethernet) network?
Contact the EITS Help Desk at 706-542-3106. The EITS Help Desk website also has step-by-step instructions on the key services on campus, such as wireless network, wired network, UGAMail and more. A listing of cable TV channels is available on the EITS website.

What if I need special accommodations?
Some of the residence halls have been equipped to better meet the needs of students with disabilities. Please contact the University of Georgia's Disability Resource Center at 706-542-8719. They will conduct an assessment and forward their recommendation for your needs to the Housing Assignments Office.

Can I have a tour of a room in the residence halls before I arrive?
Yes, tours are available during orientation in the summer. Visit the Tour the Halls page for specific tour buildings and times.

What is the residence hall visitation policy? When can I have guests in my room?
Two visitation options are available to accommodate the individual preferences of students; the options indicate times during which guests are permitted to visit and are noted in each community description.

  • Option 1: Visitation permitted Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., and 24-hour visitation permitted beginning 10 a.m. Friday through Saturday, ending at 2 a.m. Monday (Sunday night).
  • Option 2: Visitation permitted 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Do I have to leave my room during mid-year breaks such as Thanksgiving break, winter break and spring break?
Most undergraduate halls are closed for mid-year breaks, meaning residents must leave during these breaks. Exceptions include Brown Hall, Reed Hall and Payne Hall, which remain open. East Campus Village apartments, University Village Housing apartments and HSC townhomes remain open as well.

What type of security exists in the residence halls?
All residence halls feature controlled access, requiring UGA ID cards and a PIN (Personal Identification Number) for entrance. All communities have a community desk. The desk is the center for all operations in the community and operates 24 hours a day. The University Housing security staff is also present in each community from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day. If you have additional questions, feel free to email us or contact us at 706-542-1421.

Can first-year students have a car on campus? How can I get information about parking?
Yes. Please visit UGA Parking Services or call 706-542-PARK to learn more about the parking rules and regulations.

How can I get around campus if I don't have a car?
UGA has an extensive transit system. In fact, it carries the highest volume of any university-operated transit system in the United States. Free access to the UGA bus system is provided through the student transportation fee. For more information, visit Campus Transit.

Is public transportation available near residence halls?
The Athens Transit Authority has bus routes connecting University of Georgia students, staff and faculty to nearly every part of Athens-Clarke County, all at no charge with display of a valid University of Georgia identification. 

Check out the Athens Transit Authority website to learn all about the Athens bus system.

What do I do if I have a maintenance problem in my room?
For routine work requests, students should call 706-542-3999 to report a problem. Request work from maintenance. Maintenance staff will complete work requests in the order in which they are received.

For facilities emergencies, students should contact their 24-hour community desk to report the problem. The desk assistant will contact the appropriate housing staff to address the problem.  View the Contact page for more information.

What custodial service is offered in the halls?
University Housing custodial staff clean the common areas and bathrooms in each traditional-style residence hall every weekday. If you live in a suite-style room, custodial staff will be entering your room once each week to clean the bathroom, though students are still responsible for cleaning their own rooms.

A weekly apartment cleaning service is available to a limited number of East Campus Village residents for an additional fee above the cost of housing. Information on this service is available from the East Campus Village Community Office in Rooker Hall.
In no case will the custodial staff take out the trash or otherwise clean individual student rooms or bedrooms. Students must take their trash to the hall's Dumpster or trash chute, whichever is applicable.

Every residence hall room is subject to a comprehensive deep cleaning once each year in the summer.

What is the alcohol policy?
In addition to the University's alcohol and drug policies and associated conduct regulations available at https://conduct.uga.edu/content_page/code-of-conduct, the following policies will be enforced by University Housing.

  • 1. Georgia law prohibits possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under the legal drinking age and prohibits making alcoholic beverages available to persons under the legal drinking age. Underage students found in possession of alcoholic beverages will be asked to dispose of the alcohol under supervision of housing staff.
  • 2. Monies collected or generated by University Housing may not be used to purchase alcohol. Alcoholic beverages may not be sold, under any circumstances, or given away at organized student functions within the residence halls.
  • 3. Common source containers (e.g. kegs, punch bowls) are not allowed in the residence halls and apartments.
  • 4. Residents of legal drinking age may consume alcoholic beverages in the privacy of their room or apartment unit; no alcoholic beverages may be consumed in any other areas of the community outside of the student room or apartment, including common areas.
  • 5. No open containers of alcoholic beverages are permitted outside of individual residence hall rooms or apartment units.
  • 6. No student shall furnish, or cause to be furnished, any alcoholic beverage to any person under the legal drinking age.
  • 7. Inappropriate behavior related to the consumption of any alcoholic beverage or any illegal drug is prohibited.
  • 8. Failure to follow the alcohol policy will result in a referral to the university student conduct process. In addition, the student may be subject to arrest for violating State and/or Federal law.

Can I smoke in my room?
Smoking is prohibited within all residence halls. In addition, the burning of candles, incense or other materials is not permitted. Each room is equipped with a smoke detector, and each hall has several fire alarm pull stations and fire extinguishers in case of emergency.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
The only pets permitted in the halls are fish. Aquariums must be 20 gallons or less.

Current Student Room Sign-Up FAQ

How do I know I will be assigned with my chosen roommates during the returning room sign up process if they have later appointment times than I do?
If you find a room with enough blank spaces you may reserve them for your roommates.

What if my preferred roommate is not in the same round of sign up as I am?
You will be able to pull in your roommate from a later round.

I'm searching for my roommate in The Dawg House but I can't find him/her. Why don't they show up?
Make sure both you and your roommates have clicked the "show in searches" box at the bottom of the profile page. Note: Current students will not see first-year students and vice versa.

How do I request a change once I selected a space in room sign-up?
A request form will be available in The Dawg House after committing to the original room reservation and contract.

How do I get a single room or apartment?
If you are already in a single room, register to participate in room sign-up before the January 31​ deadline. If available, you will be able to sign up for your same room on same room sign-up day.

All other single rooms are first-come, first-serve during the appointment process.

Can I stay in my current room or apartment?
Maybe. The Housing Assignments Office will notify students of their ability to keep their space. Of the halls that are available, there are several reasons you may not be able to sign up for your same room. Many spaces in all halls are reserved for either special programs or incoming first-year students and not available for sign-up. Graduate students may choose to remain in their same apartment by renewing their contract and participating in same apartment sign-up day. Residents will receive an email with instructions on how to log on to choose their same apartment if they have registered in The Dawg House by March 15.

I didn't get a round one appointment. What are my chances of getting assigned on-campus housing?
Every year since we have used this process we have been able to offer everyone who registered by the deadline (January 31)​  a chance to select an on-campus space. In the last few years we have reached the end of appointments before spring final exams.

What if I want to participate in Franklin Residential College or a language community?
Franklin Residential College (FRC) will be housed in Rutherford Hall. The French and Spanish language communities will be hosted by Mary Lyndon Hall. If you are accepted into one of these programs, you are guaranteed a spot in that hall. Check with the individual programs about deadlines to apply (deadlines are generally in early to mid-January).

I'm graduating mid-year. How do I know I won't be charged rent for spring semester?
Call or visit the Housing Assignments Office early in the fall semester to let us know. 

How do I know if I've completed the registration correctly?
You will receive an email from the Housing Assignments Office in the following weeks with your randomly-generated appointment time.  Once you have chosen a space, you will receive another email with your contract. To secure your space, you must execute the contract by the date indicated in the email.

Where Does Your Rent Dollar Go?

The outstanding services and programs that make living in University Housing an enjoyable and productive experience require a great deal of resources. Dedicated staff – both student and professional, utilities, debt service payments and capital improvement projects name just a few of the many expenses incurred to provide comfortable, affordable and secure on-campus housing options in residential communities where the academic success and personal growth of residents are encouraged and supported. If you have ever wondered where your rent dollars go, we would like to help illustrate how useful each and every penny can be.