University of Georgia®
Sunday April 30, 2017
Location Marker

The University of Georgia is Founded

The University of Georgia is founded in 1785 as the United States' first state-chartered university.

Read more 1785
Location Marker

Old College Opens

Old College, the first permanent structure on campus, opens with classroom, dining and dormitory space with rent set at $1 per quarter. In fitting tribute to Benjamin Franklin, the neglected namesake of the building, the current tenant is the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.

1806
Location Marker

New College Opens

New College opens as a mix of dormitory, library and classroom building.

1823
Location Marker

Building Fire

New College burns to the ground - the first building fire in the City of Athens. It is rebuilt two years later.

1830
Location Marker

Live On Campus

The first campus live-on requirement is instituted by UGA’s President.

1850
Location Marker

Cheap Living

Room and board starts at $114 per year.

1860
Location Marker

Civil War Shutdown

The university closes because of the Civil War. Campus buildings are utilized for Confederate soldiers, Union prisoners and civilian refugees.

1863
Location Marker

Welcome Back

The University of Georgia reopens.

1866
Location Marker

Rent Free!

Old College has deteriorated so badly students are allowed to live rent free.

1893
Location Marker

Candler Hall

Candler Hall is constructed as a male dormitory and is now home to the School of Public and International Affairs. Candler Hall sits on historic Herty Field, location of the University of Georgia's first football game (a win over Mercer) in 1892.

1902
Location Marker

Lumpkin House

The descendants of Gov. Lumpkin donated to UGA a sizable portion of land south of the ravine in which Sanford Stadium now sits. Among the conditions of the donation was the provision that the Lumpkin House—used as a men’s dormitory until 1932—remain intact at its current location in perpetuity. Any attempt to remove or demolish the house will result in a large section of today’s South Campus being returned to the heirs of the Lumpkin family.

1907
Location Marker

Old College Saved

Old College narrowly avoids scheduled demolition when $10,000 is raised for refurbishment.

1908
Location Marker

Soule Hall

Soule Hall opens to become the first residence hall for females on campus. Originally there was a swimming pool in the basement and its east balcony overlooked an amphitheater, now occupied by the Boyd Graduate Building and the Science Library.

1920
Location Marker

Milledge Hall

Milledge Hall opens to house students. It is now home to the Division of Academic Enhancement and Tutorial Services.

1921
Location Marker

Milledge Annex

Milledge Annex, now known as Payne Hall, opens.

1923
Location Marker

Camp Watkins

Camp Watkins is constructed by Forestry Students. A 30’x12’ cabin stood near the site of Lake Herrick until 1956.

1924
Location Marker

Memorial Hall

Memorial Hall opens after nearly 15 years of intermittent construction to house male students, the athletic department, meeting and event space, and dining. It is now home to the Division of Student Affairs, of which University Housing is a part.

1925
Location Marker

Mary Lyndon Hall

Mary Lyndon Hall is built as a “homey” 18th century-style home to accommodate females.

1937
Location Marker

Payne Hall

Payne Hall is built on East Campus Drive. It was completely rennovated during the summer of 2006.

1937
Location Marker

Rutherford Hall

Rutherford Hall opens as the third all-female residence hall. It is torn down in 2012, but the new hall incorporates elements of the old, such as carriage lights, ironwork and original fireplace mantles.

1939
Location Marker

Vet and Ag Halls

Fain, Dudley and Griggs Halls open to male veterinary and agriculture students.

1942
Location Marker

Enrollment Increases

Boom Town - A mix of trailers and prefabricated bungalows are set up on Ag Hill to accommodate the tremendous increase in enrollment.

1946
Location Marker

Myers Hall

Myers Hall opens.

1953
Location Marker

Reed Hall

Reed Hall opens.

1953
Location Marker

Morris Hall

Morris Hall opens to graduate and law students. Currently, it is home to males and females first-year students.

1957
Location Marker

The Lower Five

Boggs, Church, Hill, Lipscomb and Mell (known as the lower five because of their position at the bottom of Baxter) and Tucker Halls open.

1961
Location Marker

Desegregation

Charlayne Hunter becomes the first African-American student to live on campus (Myers Hall).

Read more 1961
Location Marker

University Housing Opens

University Housing officially begins operating as a department. Creswell Hall opens UGA’s first high-rise residence hall.

1963
Location Marker

University Village

University Village construction begins and buildings open incrementally.

1964
Location Marker

Brumby Hall

Brumby Hall opens as a “luxury” residence hall for females. Brumby remained all-female until 2013.

1966
Location Marker

Russell Opens

Russell Hall opens.

1967
Location Marker

McWhorter Hall

The original McWhorter Hall opens to house student athletes. It was torn down in 2005, and a new residence hall now bares its name.

1967
Location Marker

Curfew Abolished

The curfew for females is abolished. Currently, there is no curfew for residents but two different visitation options are available, depending on hall.

1968
Location Marker

Rogers Road

Rogers Road apartments open to house graduate students and families.

1973
Location Marker

Oglethorpe House

University Housing acquires Oglethorpe House and pool, built in 1965. The pool was later filled in to accommodate the expansion of Oglethorpe Dining Commons.

1979
Location Marker

Secure Access

Security card access system is installed in residence halls.

1986
Location Marker

Brandon Oaks

University Housing acquires Brandon Oaks apartments, now a part of University Village Housing.

1994
Location Marker

Smoking Banned

Smoking is banned in residence halls. In 2014, all tobacco use is banned on UGA’s campus.

2000
Location Marker

Live-On Requirement Instituted

The University of Georgia institutes a first-year live-on requirement for freshmen.

Read more 2004
Location Marker

East Campus Village

East Campus Village (Busbee, McWhorter, Rooker and Vandiver) opens with apartment-style housing geared towards non-first-year students..

2004
Location Marker

Building 1516

Building 1516 opens as the first LEED-Certified Gold residence hall on campus.

2010
Location Marker

Rutherford Hall

New Rutherford hall opens.

2013

Request information

IMPORTANT:

Housing registration requires a UGA MyID. You may set up your MyID here.